Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Christmas in "The South" Day 2


Eric and Domonique’s Christmas crunk juice, as well as one shower for 5 people made getting up and around a little hard Monday morning.  Doesn't Eric look so refreshed and rested? :-) 

Eventually we managed to make it out of the house and downtown.

First we toured the Savannah City Market with a variety of shops and restaurants. They do trolley and horse drawn carriage tours but I had souvenirs in mind so we paroosed the shops instead. 

Next was a quick walk to the river front shops where I found all sorts of fun treats!


My favorite was this cute Savannah Christmas ornament.  I love to buy an ornament from everywhere I visit.   

While on River Street Eric and Domonique needed a little "hair of the dog" to cure their hangovers. So they grabbed a beer from one of the many bars. This was not a problem because in Savannah it is legal to walk the streets with a beer in hand, so they didn't hold up my souvenir shopping adventure.

After we worked up an appetite we headed to Five Guys for lunch. We don’t have one in Bakersfield but I have heard good reviews so we decided to try it out.  We were not disappointed. The burgers were good and the French fries were abundant. Anywhere that serves a brown lunch sack full of fries is OK by me. The Cajun fries were awesome! I thought it was interesting the menu said California Style fries with skin. Is that a California thing? If so I am saddened by this fact, I hate skin on my fry ends. I usually bite them off and only eat the skinless middles. Weird? Yeah maybe.

After lunch we headed to Forsyth Park, listed online as a great place to take a walk and snap a few photos. The fountain, purchased from France in 1851, was featured in the movie Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. (never seen it.)

We were also informed that the bench Forrest Gump sits on for about 80% of the movie telling his story to anyone who'll listen was located in this park.  The bench is now housed at the Savannah History Museum, so we improvised.

One of my favorite things about GA... the trees with all the cool looking moss. It was just so beautiful how they lined the sidewalks and streets.  As we left the park we decided to head to Orlando that night so we could be up and ready for Universal first thing in the morning.

 
The best pic I could get of the Welcome to Florida sign in the dark as Eric flew past.

It was late and all we wanted was a shower and a bed. Good night Orlando. 5:30am comes very early, but that is the price you pay to be the first to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter!


No comments:

Post a Comment