Thursday, January 19, 2012

My search for the world's largest things.

One winterish day a few years ago I was bored searching the Internet when I came across an interesting tidbit of information. A city, not far from Bakersfield had the world's largest olive. When I say this most think real olive, but no this is just a statue. Either way I was intrigued and wanted to see it. I asked Eric if he wanted to see the worlds largest olive and although he didn't really care, he is always down for something new. (why I love him so) Once I had my photographer (Eric) on board we jumped in the car and headed to Lindsay, CA to find the olive. Lindsay Olives.... ring a bell?  

Seeing the olive was new and interesting, but it did not stop there, I became a little obsessed with the worlds largest/weird things. I am now on the hunt where ever I go to find something close that is GIANT/weird/interesting.  This is not an exact science, the items don't have to be in the Guinness Book of World Records, although they can be. They don't have to be real, such as foods. They just have to be GIANT and interesting. So it was this day of the olive I set off to find more GIANT things during my travels.
Olives of any size are delicious, but GIANT olives are the best. Lindsay, CA

A second day trip to Kingsburg found the worlds largest Teapot and Raisin Box. They have two items, lucky them.
I'm a GIANT tea pot neither short or stout. Kingsburg, CA

Sadly because we went on a Saturday the Sunmaid raisin plant was not open, so we couldn't get inside the gate to stand close to the GIANT raisin box. Eric knowing I was sad about this even tried to convince the security guard to let us in for one picture, but the guard wasn't buying it. So outside the fence had to work.
Wish I could have gotten closer to the GIANT raisin box. Kingsburg, CA

After spending a weekend in San Diego, we took a quick drive to Lemon Grove for a picture with a GIANT lemon. Some lady walking by as were snapping pictures asked if we would both like to be in it, of course we would.
When life gives you a GIANT lemon, you stand in front of it and take photos. Lemon Grove, CA

Pismo Beach, a place we visit all the time has a GIANT clam. I have seen it many times, but now I have the picture to prove it.
Mimicking Eric's picture with the GIANT clam. Pismo Beach, CA

A few years ago when Melissa came for a visit from GA, we took a trip to Venice Beach and got a 2fer. She got to see the crazies in Venice Beach and I got to see GIANT binoculars which double as the entrance to a parking garage.

I wonder if I could see through clothing with these GIANT binoculars. Venice Beach, CA

The next few items were from our trip to Las Vegas to see Blink 182's first show after being on hiatus for 5 years.  The thermometer I had seen many times on trips to Vegas, however the flashlight was a new site.
The GIANT thermometer said it was gettin hot out heeeerrrrrrreeee.  Baker, CA

I would attend UNLV just because they have a GIANT flashlight on campus. Las Vegas, NV

Eric flew back to GA in June of 2010 to help drive Melissa (who was pregnant with AJ) and all her belongs back to CA to live with us for a while.  Aubrey decided to take a short mommy vacation and come with, so after we dropped him at LAX for his red eye to GA we could have a slumber party.  The next day we ate and shopped and Aubrey saw her first GIANT item.
A breakfast of donuts at the GIANT donut was good times. Inglewood, CA

Eric and I went to a Kings game in LA one night and darn it if we didn't fall prey to a time share presentation.  So we set the appointment to correspond with a birthday trip to Disneyland and Seaworld and stopped by for our free goodies at the Lawrence Welk Resort in Escondido, CA. One reason I didn't cancel the lame presentation is because I found out they had a GIANT item.

Nothing but champagne wishes and caviar dreams outta this GIANT champagne glass. Escondido, CA

A trip to the Lego store in Downtown Disney and you have got yourself a picture in front of the GIANT Lego.  I will see it again shortly as I run past during my Tinkerbell 1/2 Marathon.  
I could build Hogwarts out of the Harry Potter Legos, if they were all GIANT.  Anaheim, CA

I had to be in Sacramento for work in December and since I have friends and family there Eric met me there and we got to do some fun stuff like find the GIANT sewing needle in a rather shisty part of town.
It was a little easier to find this GIANT needle in a haystack. Sacramento, CA

As my previous blog showed we took a trip to GA over Christmas and I googled a few GIANT items, however 2 of the 3 were much to far off course so I had to settle on just the one.
I got this GIANT dog in his (you know it is a him if you look closely) Christmas hat. Savannah, GA

On a big big list of world's largest items, I still have many more to see.  I hope to see the Artichoke next, or maybe the yo-yo, or maybe the peanut, or maybe, well you get the picture. I am not done with my collection yet!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment