Friday, January 6, 2012

Christmas in "The South" Day 6 our final day!

Sadly Friday was our last day to spend in Savannah with Melissa, while she went to work we finished up the last items on my itinerary.
Visit the Atlantic Ocean being at the top of the list.  We took a short drive to Tybee Island and found a parking spot right by the pier.

Even though it was winter and cold as could be I had to put my feet in the Atlantic. 

Eric and his mom were not as fond of my feet in the ocean plan as I was so they stood by with shoes on the dry sand and took pictures of me in the freezing ocean.

Oh look I found a free souvenir from the Atlantic ocean. 

On a plaque outside the Tybee ocean science center that May-October the sea turtles come up on the beach to lay their eggs. They are then roped off and it is illegal to disturb them. I think it would be amazing to see them hatch and make their way back into the ocean so I guess I will need to go back in the right month someday.

We didn't see any sea turtles, but I was able to get a picture of this cute Turtle Crossing sign.  Wow waiting for a turtle to cross the road could really make ya late to work. :-)

Since our last night in Savannah fell on a Friday (New Years Eve Eve to be exact,) Melissa, Domonique, Michelle and Tim wanted to go out and show us the bar scene downtown.  We left Kim at home with AJ and headed out about 9pm.  I offered to be the DD and have just one drink early in the night since we had to get up at the crack of dawn and drive back to Atlanta to catch our plane. But for some reason Red Headed Sluts are like Lays chips and you can never have JUST ONE.

Good thing Domonique was nice enough to stop drinking and let me enjoy the evening.  We went to 51 first. Three stories and each with different music. Then to the Bar Bar where we had more drinks and danced.  Then back to 51 for more dancing. 

Sadly the last club of the evening had a poll and 3 drunk girls, plus a poll always equals a photo like this.  No regrets, I had a great time! 

We got back to Melissa's house and into bed about 2:30am just to get back up at 5am to pack up and drive to Atlanta.  Lucky for me I was not hungover because I had to drive the 4 hours to the airport. It was a sleepy journey that involved McDonalds iced coffee, a Starbucks and some chocolate to keep me alert. :-)  We made it back to the airport safe and sound turned in our rental car and boarded the plane.

In Dallas we had a short layover so we grabbed a sandwich and sat down in an empty area to eat.  After we ate I waked over to a charging station to charge Eric's Ipod.  I was sitting there a few minutes when Eric comes over and tells me they had to move because security was bringing in a dog to sniff some bag which had been sitting close to us unclaimed for a while.  It turned out to be someones forgotten carry-on. First disaster avoided!

There was another flight to LA that had been delayed and Eric went over to a monitor to see if that was going to delay ours as well.  Good thing he did because the stewardess on our first flight had given us incorrect connection information and we had 15 minutes to get to the other side of the giant airport before our flight started boarding.  If Eric had not checked to see if our plan was delayed we would still be in Dallas. Second disaster avoided! 

We landed in LA and had no trouble catching our shuttle to the parking lot and a very easy drive home.  It was so nice to see Lisa and my doggies when I came in.  Since it was NYE, even running off only 2-3 hours of sleep we sucked it up, got ready, and headed out to celebrate! Had a great time dancing and then with friends.  Sunday we recovered with lots and lots of sleep.  Home safe and sound with lots of great memories of our Christmas in the south.     

No comments:

Post a Comment